Writing Sites Meta

What Does "Pinned By Pinner" And Other Pinterest Terms And Phrases Mean?

Monday, September 17, 2018
I'm so new to Pinterest that I'm still confused especially with the new terms and phrases that can only be found on the site. Can the Pinterest experts (also known as everyone who has an account there 😃) help please?

pinterest, social media, visual bookmarking site, questions about pinterest terms and phrases, pinned by pinner, uploaded by, added by, pinned from

I tried to search for this info, but I'm not really getting or finding anything useful. Am hoping that there are some who get what these stuff mean or can explain for the benefit of the newbies out there, or for those who don't know. I even looked through all the Pinterest help pages (yeah, read them all), but didn't see any explanation about any of this.

Okay, let's start. Here are some of the phrases and terms I've seen on Pinterest so far. Can anyone tell me what they mean?

  • "Pinned by pinner"
  • "Pinned from [site name here]"
  • "Uploaded by"
  • "Added by [Username here] via [someone else's Pinterest username]"

Anyone know anything about these terms? Initially, I thought the "pinned by pinner" was the original pinner, but then what about "uploaded by" then? What about those who repin pins on Pinterest? What are they called then?

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

Oceanblue wrote on January 10, 2015, 5:06 PM:
Hi, I can't really help as there are so many different terms on each and every site. Good luck with your search.

FreyaYuki replied to Oceanblue on January 11, 2015, 2:13 PM:
Thanks. Yeah, I'm new to Pinterest, having just recently joined, so all the new terms and phrases there still confuse me.

Vickiw wrote on January 10, 2015, 5:55 PM:
Sorry, I can't help you. I'm definitely not up to date on Pinterest!

FreyaYuki replied to Vickiw on January 11, 2015, 2:16 PM:
That's okay. I'm super new to Pinterest too. Just recently joined. Hope there's someone who knows the answers like the long-time users of the site.

BarbRad wrote on January 11, 2015, 3:26 AM:
I use Pinterest, but some of those terms stump me, too. Uploaded by is the only one I'm pretty sure of, and I suppose that would be if someone uploads a photo to her board.

FreyaYuki replied to BarbRad on January 11, 2015, 2:22 PM:
Ah, I see. I wonder what the other terms mean... Really new there, so still learning how it all works.

bestwriter wrote on February 5, 2015, 1:25 AM:
When you want to share there every other site does it easily but pinterest has its own long drawn process. I have stopped going there. I do not even know the benefits of this site. Is anyone buying those images I wonder.

FreyaYuki replied to bestwriter on February 7, 2015, 9:11 AM:
I'm new to Pinterest, having just recently created an account, so am still learning about it and only have a few pins so far. I'm not always there either due to being busy. Not all the images there are for sale, but there are some that are though I don't know if anyone is bothering to buy them. Some say Pinterest can be a good source of traffic though I don't know 'bout that either since I'm new there.

bestwriter replied to FreyaYuki on February 7, 2015, 6:20 PM:
What I have found out about sites such as zazzle, pinterest is that members have hopes. But I wonder if it is worth spending time there.

FreyaYuki replied to bestwriter on February 8, 2015, 4:19 PM:
I've heard that some make good money with Zazzle and sites like Zazzle. So, I suppose it's worth it for those people.

*Notes:
- This was previously published on Persona Paper on January 10, 2015, 4:54 PM
- Pinterest pic is by vastateparksstaff (CC:BY) from flickr

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.