Writing Sites Meta

Didn't Know This Was Going To Happen When Replying To Persona Paper Profile Comments

Friday, June 16, 2017
Did you know this was going to happen? Like my title says (well, it was supposed to include the question, but it’s long enough as it is, so you get that kind of title instead), I didn’t know about this at all, so I was surprised when it happened.

So, what in the world am I talking about? Well, it’s like this: I received some comments on my Persona Paper profile page. I thought that was really nice and that I should reply to those comments.
Informational Articles, Writing Sites, Persona Paper, Reviews, Tutorials, profile, comments
So, I copied each person’s username on the provided text box, added the & sign before their username and then typed each of my replies. I added a space between the replies.

It looked something like this:

&username1 here – my reply here
&username2 here – my reply here

I double-checked everything before hitting the submit comment button. The entire thing looked perfectly fine. It didn’t last for long though. When my comment got posted, I saw that the entire thing turned into this huge block of text as all the spaces that I put in between my replies disappeared.

Now, my entire comment looked like this:

&username1 here – my reply here &username2 here – my reply here

If I’d known that was going to happen, I would have just replied to these people separately. Oh, well. But now I wonder why the spaces disappeared? Where in the world did they go? What do you think?

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

bestwriter wrote on July 29, 2014, 9:23 AM:
I do it this way. If I have received a comment on my profile. I click on that user name and that takes me to the profile. Simple.

FreyaYuki replied to bestwriter on July 30, 2014, 4:02 PM:
I guess that can work too. I just thought that replying to all the comments at once would turn out all right since we can tag the usernames so it seems better and more convenient than replying to each of them separately.

MaeLou wrote on July 29, 2014, 10:05 AM:
The profile comments have always had a little bit of issues with it. We plan to work these things through when we go to remodel the front page and profile pages. I'm not sure if elitecodex knows about the spacing on the profile comments.

FreyaYuki replied to MaeLou on July 30, 2014, 4:05 PM:
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I'll just have to reply to the comments separately, so the replies can easily be seen and they won't all look like one huge block of text.

AngelSharum wrote on July 29, 2014, 12:42 PM:
I just asked about basically the same thing when doing a poll. All the formatting for paragraphs went away.

FreyaYuki replied to AngelSharum on July 30, 2014, 4:08 PM:
Do you mean the formatting for paragraphs disappeared on your poll? Hope you were able to fix that.

AngelSharum replied to FreyaYuki on July 30, 2014, 5:10 PM:
You can't edit polls as far as I know so I couldn't fix it.

FreyaYuki replied to AngelSharum on July 31, 2014, 3:17 PM:
Oh, I see. I haven't tried making a poll yet, so I didn't know that. If it's a new poll, then maybe you can just delete it and then try again?

AngelSharum replied to FreyaYuki on July 31, 2014, 4:19 PM:
It's already old news...lol. I do hope they fix that function though.

Ruby3881 wrote on July 30, 2014, 6:16 AM:
I personally prefer to use the little reply arrows at the right of each comment. If you want to respond, just click that icon and type whatever you want the user to read. No need to tag them, because they get a notification automatically.

FreyaYuki replied to Ruby3881 on July 30, 2014, 4:10 PM:
Yes, that's what I do when I reply to comments on articles. But I didn't see an option like that for replying to profile comments. So I just typed all the replies in the comment box, added spaces to separate the usernames and the replies and then submitted the comment.

But I didn't know that the spaces were going to disappear so the entire comment just looked like one huge block of text. Now, I'll just reply to the profile comments separately.

Ruby3881 replied to FreyaYuki on July 31, 2014, 4:49 PM:
Sorry, I misread! I've always tried to reply to profile comments by going to the other person's profile. That makes it necessary to reply to each comment individually :)

FreyaYuki replied to Ruby3881 on August 1, 2014, 3:46 PM:
Okay, now that's what I'll be doing too when I get new profile comments. I guess it is better to reply on the person's profile page so they will surely see the comment :) .

Bensen32 wrote on July 31, 2014, 7:49 AM:
Yes, this same thing has happened to me many times and I'm not sure how to fix it so I have started to reply to each person one at a time.

FreyaYuki replied to Bensen32 on August 1, 2014, 4:03 PM:
That's what I'll be doing from now on when I get new profile comments. I was surprised since I wasn't expecting that to happen when I put all the replies in one single comment. I put all the proper spaces so I didn't think the formatting would disappear after you submit your comment.

*Notes:
- Image is by GraphBerry (CC:BY-SA) from deviantArt
- This was previously published elsewhere

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.