Writing Sites Meta

How To Make Smileys On Persona Paper?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Did you know about this? I didn't. I was very surprised to find out so I thought I'd share in case there were others who didn't know about this too.
persona paper, writing website, site, tutorial, smiley, frown, sad, emoticon
What am I talking about? I'm talking about smileys or emoticons (though I guess anyone could have figured that out by now based on the title :-)). Did you see that? I just added a smiley in the last sentence and it actually worked!

Before, my smileys didn't work on Persona Paper. They just look like this :) and it won't turn into the real smiley. I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

I mean, doesn't this :) look like a smiley? That's always how I've done it, and, as far as I know, it always used to work (or maybe it really didn't? Who knows?).

Anyway, I didn't know how to get the :) to turn into a real smiley, so I just left it like that. But then I saw this post (http://www.personapaper.com/article/18621-can-you-answer-some-user-questions-please-) here on Persona Paper that was asking about the smiley thing too.

Reading the comments on that post, I saw the answers and learned what to do in order to make the smiley work.

I learned two methods. The first is this ":-)" (added the quotation marks, so this one won't turn into a real smiley) The dash - is what I've been missing. I only used :) without the - so that's why it didn't work. But if you add the dash, then it will work - like this :-).

I also learned that the frown works the same way. Before, I used :( but you're actually supposed to add the dash too, so it should look like this ":-(".

The second method is actually using the word smile, like this ":smile:". However, it doesn't work with the frown. At least, putting ":frown:" doesn't do anything. Maybe it's supposed to be another word?

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

grandma20121 wrote on January 13, 2015, 1:06 PM:
"Hmm this is a really good thing to know but i am not so sure i have it down right yet, let me see you said to put it like this "smile" and it should show a smiley face?

"I hope this is right , it is something I have been trying to figure out too, also is there actually a spot on Persona Paper where you can get to the emotions icon?"

FreyaYuki replied to grandma20121 on January 14, 2015, 7:55 AM:
"You will need the colon (:) first : Then, you will need the dash (-) Lastly, you will need the parenthesis ( - this one for the frown and this one ) for the smile. So, it will look like this ":-)" and ":-("

"But don't add the quotation marks, it's just for illustration purposes. It should look like this :-) :-(. As far as I know, you will need to input the emoticon yourself depending on what you want (for example, the smiley or the sad face)."

LadyDuck wrote on June 20, 2015, 1:08 PM:
"I am glad you wrote this post, I was trying to find out how emoticons work in Persona Paper and searching with Google I found your post, thank you :-)"

Porcospino wrote on January 7, 2015, 6:24 PM:
"Outside Persona Paper I write a happy smiley this way: ":-)" I did the same thing on Persona Paper and the smiley showed up. I also used ";-)" and that turned into a smiley as well.

"There are other smileys but I don't remember how to use them so I just use :-) and ;-) (and frown which I just learned from your post)"

FreyaYuki replied to Porcospino on January 8, 2015, 12:23 PM:
"Outside Persona Paper, I write the smiley like this :) and the frown like this :( but it doesn't work here. I was missing the dash so to make a smiley and a frown emoticon here, it had to be like this :-) :-("

*Notes:
- Image is by OpenClipart-Vectors (Public Domain) from Pixabay
- This was previously published elsewhere

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.