Writing Sites Meta

Why You Want To Read A Site Or Program's Terms Of Service And Privacy Policy?

Saturday, August 18, 2018
Who else does this? Does what and reads what stuff, you ask? What am I talking about now? Well, I’m referring to reading a website’s terms of service, terms of use, privacy policies, rules, guidelines, FAQs, and all the other information that a site provides or makes available for all of its users or potential users.

All the legalities or the legal stuff filled with legal jargon is really boring and a lot of these are such a chore to read. Seriously, it seems like a lot of the sites or even software and programs seem to really not want anyone, including their customers and consumers or users, to read their terms and policies, especially when you consider how all these can be really complicated and difficult to understand.
terms of service, terms of use, privacy policy, program, website, tos
And I’d really rather not read them, but I still take the time to read them all anyway. Eh, I dunno; it’s just how I am, I guess. I want to know what I'm signing up for, exactly what I’m agreeing to, etc. So I really take the time to explore the website before even going to the registration page.

And it does take time especially if a site decides to be long-winded and have what seems to be pages and pages of terms and rules; it takes even longer if a site is extra boring about these things and decides to use all these complicated legal jargon seemingly at every turn.

What takes me even longer is how I like to take a break because there’s no way I’m reading all this in one sitting (shudder); I don’t even want to think about that. So, what about you? What do you think? Do you do the same?

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

MegL wrote on August 4, 2014, 4:37 PM:
I read the licence terms before downloading or installing software. I like to know whose life I am signing away!

FreyaYuki replied to MegL on August 5, 2014, 4:10 PM:
Yes, I read those too even if they're really long and boring. One of the worse is how some of those license terms are listed in huge blocks of text, so it's even harder to read.

LoudMan wrote on August 4, 2014, 6:37 PM:
I read it. But then again, I'm nuts. And thank you for this submission to the contest.

FreyaYuki replied to LoudMan on August 5, 2014, 4:20 PM:
You're welcome 😃. I don't think anyone who reads all these terms, policies, rules, etc should be classified as 'nuts'. After all, it is important to know these things so one knows exactly what they're agreeing to, how their information or data will be collected and what it will be used for, etc.

paigea wrote on August 4, 2014, 10:48 PM:
I read all that. Now, do I remember it? That is another question!

FreyaYuki replied to paigea on August 5, 2014, 4:40 PM:
😃 Good question. Since many sites have such long terms and policies, sometimes, it can be hard to remember all of the information. It's too bad these sites just can't make it easier for their users.

BarbRad wrote on August 4, 2014, 11:30 PM:
Yes, I read them. Sometimes they are so scary I'm not sure I should sign up. It seems like most of them say close to the same thing. They all want the right to do whatever they want with your work, but you still have the copyright.

FreyaYuki replied to BarbRad on August 5, 2014, 4:52 PM:
There are some terms and policies that can seem quite daunting with how long they are and how complicated they appear to be since they're all full of legal jargon. I noticed that the part of the terms that end up being mostly the same even for different sites is regarding the disclaimers and liabilities part.

For writing sites, yeah, they do want the right to be able to display your content on their site, but you still retain all the copyrights to it, which is how it should be. I wouldn't want to write for a site that would acquire the copyrights to your articles unless they actually paid you upfront for it.

*Notes:
- Image is by kaboompics (Public Domain) from Pixabay
- This was previously published on Persona Paper on August 4, 2014, 3:56 PM

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.