Writing Sites Meta

Reasons Why Upcoming Changes to Writedge and Daily Two Cents Is Both Good and Bad

Thursday, December 20, 2018
Writedge and Daily Two Cents are writing sites (using WordPress.org) where you can post articles and get the chance to earn some passive income. If you write on these 2 sites, then you must have heard about the planned and upcoming changes.

In the case of Writedge and Daily Two Cents, this change is both welcome and unwelcome, good and bad. Why is that?

Daily Two Cents, Informational Articles, Reviews, Writedge, Writing Sites, wordpress, new website theme, new website layout, building a better me wordpress theme, youtube videos

Edited to add: unfortunately, both writing sites in question have changed their payment model from pay per thousand views to a revenue-sharing (Google AdSense) one. The traffic in these sites have also gotten quite low lately.

Changes on Writedge and Daily Two Cents

First, what are these changes anyway? The sites in question plan to change their theme to a responsive and mobile-ready one.

Responsive Theme

This is definitely a welcome change. Nowadays, having a site or blog that is responsive and mobile-friendly is very important since a lot of people use their tablets and phones to access the internet and read stuff online, so if your site or blog doesn't cater to these people, then why would they bother staying on your website, right?

They'd have a hard time reading the posts on your blog if it isn't optimized for mobile, so they'd prefer to go to sites that make things easier for them.

Appearance of Writedge and Daily Two Cents

So the fact that Daily Two Cents and Writedge are planning to update their theme is wonderful news. Besides, well, what do you think about the current layout of those sites? IMHO, it could really use a lot of improvements.

Sometimes, it can even look- well, you know- kind of spammy? Not nice at all? Anyway, it's definitely a good thing that they're planning to change the theme 😃. Besides, having a responsive theme is like all the rage these days, ne? LOL.

New Theme Choices for Writedge and Daily Two Cents

There are three possible theme choices, and they're all much, much better compared to the current theme. Of course, that doesn't mean that those 3 themes are perfect or something 'cause they're not, but that's normal. After all, we have different tastes and opinions, right?

After reviewing all three themes, I ended up voting for the third one (the Building A Better Me one) even though it has the annoying infinite scroll feature :-(. It's just that the theme in question looked better overall, and I suppose I'm just hoping that the endless scroll can be turned off or something.

So, What's the Bad or Unwelcome Thing About This Change?

Well, you see, in the current Writedge and Daily Two Cents theme, there's this box where you can place YouTube URL links. The video then automatically gets added to your post.

The 3 new themes do not have or support this video feature, which means that, when the sites change themes, all the posts that use this feature will lose the videos unless the authors move the placement or position of these videos.

That's definitely a hassle, not to mention inconvenient, if you used that video feature a lot. And that's the problem. See, I used said feature on most of my articles on Writedge and Daily Two Cents.

So, now I have to go through the process of moving those videos, so I don't end up losing them when the sites change themes. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have over 200+ posts on each of those sites. Most of those posts have videos :-(.

Your Thoughts and Opinions

So, what about you? Do you write on Daily Two Cents and/or Writedge? What do you think about the fact that they're planning to change themes? Which theme did you vote for?

Do you also have videos on your posts there? Have you moved them already? I've started, but I have a long way to go. Not really looking forward to it. LOL. How 'bout you?

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions by leaving a comment below.

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

nbaquero wrote on March 18, 2015, 11:50 AM
FreyaYuki I am not an active member of any of those two sites, I think I applied and got approved for WE but never posted anything. What do the owners say about this issue? Are they offering any support or every user has to figure it out on his/her own?

FreyaYuki replied to nbaquero on March 19, 2015, 6:32 AM
I asked how much time we have to move our videos in the forums but haven't received a response yet. I think they are offering to help members with this issue.

I just hope we get enough time to move them before the sites change themes. It's easy enough to move the videos, it's just that it can take a lot of time especially if you have hundreds of posts with videos.

nbaquero replied to FreyaYuki on March 19, 2015, 7:18 AM
Right, probably some sort of script would make the task easier for those like you with hundreds of videos to move, but I don't think that is available, unfortunately.

CalmGemini wrote on March 18, 2015, 1:49 PM
I am not an active member of these sites. Some time back I joined Daily Two Cents. But I have never posted there. So I do not have much to say, except I do not like infinite scroll feature. I think you had posted a poll about this. I voted-I do not like it but can live with it I think

FreyaYuki replied to CalmGemini on March 19, 2015, 6:38 AM
Yeah, I posted a poll about that. I really don't like the infinite scroll feature 😃. Sometimes, I still write for these sites, but traffic is kind of low there at the moment, unfortunately.

cinnafire wrote on March 18, 2015, 3:12 PM
Change is inevitable with how the internet works. I am guessing everyone will adjust.

FreyaYuki replied to cinnafire on March 19, 2015, 6:41 AM
Yes. I just hope they give everyone enough time to move the videos in their posts so they won't end up losing them.

valmnz wrote on March 18, 2015, 5:55 PM
I did initially sign up for Daily Two Cents before I landed here, but never used it. I think I'm happy to bumble on with wat I'm doing for now.

FreyaYuki replied to valmnz on March 19, 2015, 6:44 AM
Ah, I see 😃. I was on Daily Two Cents before I found my way here, so I already have a lot of posts on that site.

bestwriter wrote on March 18, 2015, 7:12 PM
You are truly an asset around here always writing to help the community. emoticon :cool:

FreyaYuki replied to bestwriter on March 19, 2015, 6:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate them 😃.

iimouto wrote on March 19, 2015, 5:14 AM
I'm not on those sites, but the reason I'm not on there is because of their layout/theme. I'm glad to hear that they're changing it now. If they do a good job, I might just have to go and see if they're worth the time.

FreyaYuki replied to iimouto on March 19, 2015, 7:20 AM
Yeah, I wasn't too fond of the site themes too, so I'm really glad that they're planning to change said theme. It's just that, it's such a hassle to have to move all the videos on my posts. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have hundreds of posts on those sites.

scheng1 wrote on March 19, 2015, 8:28 AM
I just have an article in Daily Two Cents, so I am not really affected by any changes.

FreyaYuki replied to scheng1 on March 20, 2015, 9:44 AM
Ah, I see. Am currently still trying to move my videos. Have a lot more to go since almost all of my posts there have videos. It can be such a hassle and so inconvenient too.

*Notes:
- This was previously published on Persona Paper on March 18, 2015, 11:14 AM
- Image is by kaboompics (Public Domain) from Pixabay

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.