Writing Sites Meta

Reason Why You Can't Preview Polls On Persona Paper

Saturday, October 15, 2016
I've been seeing some polls here on Persona Paper lately and they look okay. I've only made one poll post so far and it didn't really turn out all that well.

The problems included being unable to add spaces to the additional commentary (even though I was able to do this on the text post editor, when the poll got published, the paragraphs disappeared) and being unable to use symbols like ' and (), so words like "I'm" or "can't" ended up looking like this - "Im" and "cant".

polls, persona paper, writing website, writing sites
So, I got kind of turned-off from making more polls here because of the issues. The admin did say they were aware of these problems and that they were working on fixing them, which is great, of course.

Anyway, from seeing some of the latest polls here, it does seem like they've been fixed already, so I thought about trying to make a poll here again. I clicked on the "new poll" link and I was taken to the poll page where I could write down all the necessary info.

Before I could do so though, I noticed that there was no "save draft" option and I have to wonder why. Before I didn't really bother using the "save draft" option on the text articles, but, now I find that I'm using them a lot even if I pre-write some of my articles from elsewhere.

When I paste them on the text post editor here on Persona Paper, I always save them as a draft first. In this way, I can see a preview of how my article will look like when I publish it. I can then fix it in case there are issues (for example, adding spaces, headings, fixing the font, etc).

Now, I wonder why the same can't be done for the polls here (at least, it doesn't look like we can preview them before submitting)? I see why we can't edit them, but being able to preview before submitting should help in case there are some issues, so when you publish your poll, it won't end up looking like a mess. What do you think?

Here are some comments from back when this was on the Persona Paper website:
Kasman wrote on January 9, 2015, 12:11 PM: "One way around the problem is to write your material elsewhere and paste it into PP. That also gives you a copy for your records."

Freya Yuki replied to Kasman on January 10, 2015, 4:43 PM: "Yes, I keep backup copies of my posts too and usually write them elsewhere first. If it's a text post, you can preview it before posting it so you can see how it looks and can fix any issues (like with the headings, fonts, etc). With the polls, you can't preview it, you can only submit it. If there are issues or problems (like with the symbols and spacing), you won't be able to edit the post so you can't fix it."

*Notes:
- Image is by Alan Klim (CC:BY) from flickr
- This was previously published elsewhere

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.