Writing Sites Meta

Why Is The Hamburger Icon A Part Of The Persona Paper Logo?

Monday, May 29, 2017
When you go to Persona Paper, you'll see the site title in large font with the "persona" colored green and the "paper" colored black. In-between these 2 words, you'll see these 3 horizontal lines - the hamburger icon.

It's not that I never noticed this icon before because I have. And I'm sure lots of people have as well. It's also the menu icon. On some sites, you can see this button or icon, and, if you click on it, either a sidebar or menu will pop out / show up.

By now, you're probably wondering what the point of this post is about, right? What, you're not? Okay, so it's fine if I say the point is nothing then? LOL :-). Just kidding. There is a point, really.
Informational Articles, Writing Sites, Reviews, Persona Paper, hamburger icon, menu icon, blog theme, navbar, togglable, offcanvas sidebar, logo
I've been noticing the hamburger icon a lot 'cause I'm trying to add this (to clarify: trying to code something with this icon, not just add it 'cause, yup, it's easy to add this icon :-)) to the theme that I'm working on. Usually, in some sites, blogs, and/or themes, you'll only see the hamburger icon when you're on smaller / mobile screens / devices.

If your menu (site links, pages, etc) is on a navbar (fixed or otherwise), on smaller screens, instead of displaying all the links on the bar, it'll be collected and hidden inside the hamburger icon. Click the icon and the menu links will drop-down.

Cool? Sure. But, sometimes, some might want this icon visible all the time - you know, like if you have an offcanvas / togglable sidebar or something. Anyway, the point is that I just found myself wondering why Persona Paper uses the hamburger icon as part of the site title. Just curious about that since, as mentioned, this is usually used for menus. What do you think? Any ideas?

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

agvulpes wrote on June 27, 2015, 9:27 AM:
I had not noticed it before and if you click on the whole Link it takes you to the Home Page (as normal sites do) I am using Firefox which has a 'Hamburger Icon on the right hand site which brings out a Drop Down Menu for customizing Firefox!
You raise an interesting question?

AliCanary wrote on June 29, 2015, 9:27 AM:
Even though it has three bars rather than two, I always kind of viewed it as an equals sign, as in persona = paper (translation: If you write, your personality can earn you money [paper]), and also simply as a decorative element, which is what they probably intended.

cheri wrote on June 30, 2015, 5:21 AM:
Oh shame on me. I have not noticed that icon you were talking about. Need to check on that

Ruby3881 wrote on June 30, 2015, 1:39 PM:
I would imagine it had something to do with writing lines of text...

AdGoggleKo wrote on July 10, 2015, 3:17 AM:
Oh I was also thinking what those 3 lines mean or why they chose it but didn't think of hamburger haha! Talking about hamburger reminds me one site I joined before, they have a banner hamburger stuffed with dollars, cheese and veggies instead of meat, etc. :)

*Notes:
- Image is by GraphBerry (CC:BY-SA) from deviantArt
- This was previously published elsewhere

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.