Writing Sites Meta

What's Wrong With The Persona Paper Polls Feature?

Thursday, May 11, 2017
I just tried to make a Persona Paper poll. This is the first time I've tried this feature, but I think it's cool that we can make polls on this site.

However, I experienced some problems with this tool. If you've made polls on Persona Paper, how were you able to address these issues? Or what did you do to avoid these problems?
Reviews, Writing Sites, Persona Paper, Informational Articles, website, polls, feature

Cannot add spaces to paragraphs on the Additional Commentary textbox

I added a lot of text on the "Additional Commentary" textbox (this is located below the title on the Persona Paper poll creation page) to explain my poll and give more details and information.

I added some paragraphs and spaces to break up the text so it won't look like one huge block of text. I even had some bullet points using the dash (-) symbol. It looked perfectly fine on the textbox and I thought that all was well.

However, when I submitted my poll, I saw that all the stuff I wrote on the "Additional Commentary" textbox got combined together so it looked like one huge block of text that wasn't all that easy to read. The bullet points I added got messed up too :-(.

Cannot edit Persona Paper polls

Because of what happened above, I thought about editing the poll to try to fix the text and maybe just remove the dashes for the bullet points. It was then that I found out that the edit button isn't available. The only thing you can do is delete the article and start over.

I know, I read the text below the poll creation tool about how we can't edit the polls, but I thought that only referred to the poll choices and not the additional text. So now it looks like I'm stuck with a poll that has a long and kind of messy intro text. :-(

Poll choices don't accept symbols like ' and ()

My poll choices included words like "I'm", "can't", etc. I also added some sad and happy faces - :-) and :-(. It looked perfectly fine when I was creating the poll, but, when I submitted the poll, I saw that the parenthesis () had been removed and only the : remained so it didn't look all that nice.

The ' symbol was removed too so I ended up with words like "Im" and "cant". It looked kind of bad. Oh, who am I kidding? It did look bad :-(. I really wish I could change it, but I don't know how to fix this mess.

Does anyone know how? And, if I deleted the poll and started all over again, I would have to wait 10 minutes before being able to submit it again. Even if I did that, how would I add paragraphs and spaces to the "additional commentary" textbox?

And how can I make sure that symbols like ' and () won't disappear when I add them to the poll choices? I don't understand why we can't use those symbols or why we can't add paragraphs to the intro text. What's wrong with doing those things?

Have you found a solution to these issues in using Persona Paper polls? Do you have any idea how to fix this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

LoudMan wrote on October 16, 2014, 5:40 AM:
"Once-in-awhile, the votes still just don't seem to register. I don't remember which ones.

"(Hey, long time no read from.)"

FreyaYuki replied to LoudMan on October 30, 2014, 4:50 AM:
"Hi :). Yeah, it's been a while. I've been busy so haven't been able to visit Persona Paper all the time. I didn't know there were also problems when it comes to voting on polls. Maybe I'll just avoid making any more polls for now until all these issues have been addressed."

Feisty56 wrote on October 16, 2014, 11:09 AM:
"Did you write your text elsewhere, then copy and paste to the "Additional Commentary" textbox? That's the only way I can see that trying to add in spaces for paragraphs and the like may have been an issue. I've always written in that textbox, using usual spacing as when writing posts and haven't incurred any issues myself. Best of luck to you in getting this corrected."

FreyaYuki replied to Feisty56 on October 30, 2014, 4:54 AM:
"No. I wrote my post directly on the textbox. I fixed it up there, adding all the spaces, etc and it looked perfectly fine on the textbox but, when I submitted the article, everything got all messed up. Even the poll choices got messed up. Don't know how to fix it. But I do hope this issue with the polls gets corrected. Thanks."

MaeLou wrote on October 16, 2014, 11:21 AM:
"We are aware of these issues with the polls and they will be fixed when the new layout is rolled out."

Kasman replied to MaeLou on October 16, 2014, 2:47 PM:
"You're planning a new layout for the site? When?"

FreyaYuki replied to MaeLou on October 30, 2014, 5:03 AM:
"Okay. Thanks :). I look forward to seeing the new layout and having these polls fixed."

MaeLou replied to Kasman on October 16, 2014, 5:36 PM:
"It's not really a new "layout" really. The only new layout will be the blogging section. I wrote about it awhile back. We were hoping to get it up by mid October but things have been happening on the home front and have been pushed back a little (which we will post about soon)."

*Notes:
- Image is by Alan Klim (CC:BY) from flickr
- This was previously published elsewhere

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.