Writing Sites Meta

How to Add Links to Niume Posts?

Sunday, January 13, 2019
The quick, easy, and fast tutorial version of how to add links to Niume posts for those who just want the answer:

Edited to add: Niume is a writing site where you can earn a bit of passive income by publishing articles. Unfortunately, not only has the site stopped paying, it has also shut down without warning.

1. On the Niume post editor, highlight the text that you want to add a link to.

2. A black-colored tooltip will show up. Click on the chain icon.

3. Another tooltip will show up. Paste your link on this tooltip.

Informational Articles, Niume, Tutorials, Writing Sites, site shut down, passive income, make money online, how to add links to posts
It can be kind of hard to figure out how to add links to your Niume posts, but, once you know how it's done, it's really easy

4. This is the part that can be confusing. I got lost here too. What you should do after pasting your link is to press the enter key on your keyboard.

5. You'll know it worked if you see that the text you highlighted is now underlined.

6. To see an example, check the pic sources at the end of this post.

The Story of How I Figured out How to Add Links to Niume Posts

The Niume rich text post editor is actually fairly easy to understand, so even though I'm pretty new here (having just recently joined), I didn't really have much of a hard time writing and publishing my very first post.

Except when it came to links.

Since I used images on my post, I wanted to link to the sources of these pics.

So, at the end of the article, after including the necessary info like the artist and the site where I got the pics from, I tried to add the website link.

Informational Articles, Niume, Tutorials, Writing Sites, site shut down, passive income, make money online, how to add links to posts

Technically, this should have been really easy. Why? Because when you highlight the text in your post, a tooltip shows up above the highlighted text.

There are a few icons in this tooltip including the chain icon, which is supposed to be for adding hyperlinks to your text.

When I click the chain icon, a new tooltip shows up with the words, "Paste or type a link." There's a small x icon on the right side of the tooltip. You can then paste a link on said tooltip.

That's the part where I got lost. I could paste a link easily enough, but, after that, for some reason, it just wasn't working. I tried pasting the link and then clicking the x icon, but that didn't really do anything.

Do You Need to Publish Your Post First Before You See the Links?

After trying a few times, I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't seeing the links since I hadn't published the post yet. However, even after publishing my post, the links still wouldn't show up.

Editing the published post to try adding the link again still didn't work. In the end, I just pasted the link as-is without trying to use the link icon.

How and Where to Find Information About Adding Links to Niume Posts?

I tried to look for information about this, but I couldn't find anything, so I decided to write this post.

I was going to ask if anyone knew where I could find info on how to add links to Niume posts, but- well, let's just say I had a sudden epiphany while I was trying to add links to this post.

Informational Articles, Niume, Tutorials, Writing Sites, site shut down, passive income, make money online, how to add links to posts
While I did find a few posts about Niume, I wasn't able to find anything about how to add links to your posts here

I was testing the link tooltip yet again when I thought to press the enter key on my keyboard. Guess what? Yup, it actually worked.

So, that's how you add links to your Niume posts. Be sure to press the enter key after pasting your link on the tooltip. You'll know it worked when you see the text that you highlighted is now underlined.

P.S. I put this post in the Interesting sphere since I didn't know where else to put it. If there's a more relevant category or sphere for this, just tell me so I can edit the post and put it there instead.

Here are some of the comments from this article, back when it used to be posted elsewhere:

Maribelle said on 31/1/17
Thanks. I got it after 5 tries.

Freya Yuki replied to Maribelle on 31/1/17
You're welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :-).

Mari Christine Glan said on 10/12/16
Thank you Freya

Freya Yuki replied to Mari Christine Glan on 10/12/16
You're welcome, Mari. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :-).

Uwe Lang said on 21/11/16
Great advise, how old is this platform and how long are you a user?

Freya Yuki replied to Uwe Lang on 21/11/16
Niume was first launched in July 2014. I can't quite recall the exact date when I joined, but it was in 2016.

Brian Leverton said on 18/11/16
Good post with great information I am going to come back many times to look because I am lost now for certain.

Freya Yuki replied to Brian Leverton on 19/11/16
Thanks. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :-).

Ritu Nanda said on 2/11/16
Thank you, that information was really useful.

Freya Yuki replied to Ritu Nanda on 6/11/16
You're welcome. Glad this helped. Also had a bit of a hard time trying to figure it out at first.

Jim Bauer said on 25/10/16
This helped greatly. This was driving me nuts and I can't so far seem to find many tutorials on this site. Now if I can just figure out how to embed a YouTube video we're onto something. Thanks.

Freya Yuki replied to Jim Bauer on 25/10/16
You're welcome. Yeah, I'm finding it kind of hard to search through the site. It would be great if there was a Niume sphere or even a tag or something. There's a FAQ section, but, unfortunately, it doesn't include all the relevant info about the site and how it works.

Freya Yuki replied to Jim Bauer on 25/10/16
About adding YouTube vids, here's how: when you're on the Niume post editor, press the enter key on your keyboard and you'll see a plus sign on the editor. Click the plus sign and a few options will show up.

Click the 3rd circle, the one that looks like the play sign. If you hover your mouse on it, you'll see text that says "Add a YouTube or Vimeo link". Once you click that icon, you'll be able to paste a video link on the line provided. Hope this helped.

Jim Bauer replied to Freya Yuki on 30/10/16
I still can't get it to work. The video shows up while in edit, but as soon as click UPDATE it's gone. Ugh. I'll keep on trying.

Freya Yuki replied to Jim Bauer on 1/11/16
Are you using the YouTube video link itself or the embed link? Using the YouTube link, I've managed to add a vid to one of my posts: https://niume.com/pages/post/?postID=143499

*Notes:
- This was previously published on Niume on 19 Oct 2016 in Interesting
- First pic is by AlexLasek (CC:BY) from deviantArt
- Second pic is a screenshot from my Niume account
- Third pic is by GraphBerry (CC:BY-SA) from deviantArt

Share your thoughts and opinions by commenting below:
To comment as a guest or anonymously: Select the discussion then the name textbox. Put a check on the "I'd rather post as guest" checkbox and you can submit your comment without logging in or creating an account.
By leaving a comment, you agree to the comment guidelines.